Client Event Case Study – Safliyah Island activities for International Student Competition
Date: Wednesday 24 April 2013
Time: 0800 to 1300
Overview and brief:
Fitness Qatar was asked to design and operate a range of fun and competitive active events for 300 students on Safliyah Island. This was the finale to a week long debating championship with students from 27 countries around the world.
The event was to be run offshore on Safliyah island so all equipment had to be transported to the island in advance and broken down after the event.
FQ designed a team event day which would comprise 8 events over only 90 minutes. Huge time pressure when dealing with such a large number of people. Events staff had to be able to work in Arabic to ensure all instructions were understood by the participants.
Following a short client meeting the 8 events were agreed upon from ideas presented by Fitness Qatar. These events would be as follows:
1. Build a car – Build a car from equipment provided and race it as a team around a track
2. Human railway – Use balance and teamwork to move basketballs along a human railway
3. Sack Race – a traditional school sports event remade
4. Egg and Spoon race – In this case limes not eggs but it was just as fun
5. Farmer’s Walk – A test of fitness and strength. Carrying heavy water cans along a race track
6. Team ski – The ultimate in teamwork and communication is required to win this team race
7. Stretcher race – team work and fitness required to run a race with a stretcher and a heavy “patient” on board
8. Tallest tower – Using materials provided build the tallest tower against the clock
FQ completed the planning and organisation of the event schedule, location booking, staffing and transport shortly after the confirmed request was received. Prior to the event the site was visited and equipment set up to ensure that everything was set for the day
On the event day the set up was complete early morning. However, some delays at the client meant attendees were up to an hour late. FQ quickly reshuffled the teams and got the event started and by the first break the event was back on schedule. All 8 events plus the debrief and prizegiving were completed by departure time of the return boats.
The following is an extract from feedback received from the client:
“I would like to take a moment to thank you for your unwavering support and dedication in organizing team building activities for 44 teams from 27 different countries on the 24th of April 2013, during the 2nd International Universities Arabic Debating Championship.
I would like to extend my gratitude for helping us make the event a huge success. This success could not have been achieved if not for dedication and professional service rendered from you. We would also like to thank you for being so accommodating when we need to make last minute changes! On behalf of the QMDI team, I would like to extend my greatest gratitude to you and your team.
It has been a pleasure to work with you and we look forward to working with you again in the near future.”